Tuesday, January 31, 2017

Are We Hard-Wired to Fight?

I am often called the "heart" of most groups with which I associate. My compassionate nature is such that I opt for love over hate. In fact, my husband often refers to me as a "people pleaser." As with nature, I have a balance to my compassionate nature--the side that reflects the following quote:

"Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned."

While working through a few recent "fights," I came across this Crash Course episode that may shed some light on why many humans seem "hard-wired" to fight. Much like the Widlland Fire Leadership Development Program references Sun Tzu's "The Art of War" as a foundation to leadership development, I will use this video to discuss human's nature to fight--whether physical or verbal. I challenge you to take the nuggets found within the resources provided and transfer them to your self awareness pursuit as part of this year's leadership campaign The Art of Authenticity. 



Potential takeaways:
  • Aggression is an innate trait in our genes
  • "Choosing sides is the fundamental first choice that a warrior makes..." - Karl Marlentes
  • We tend to protect our kin group and pass on that behavior.
  • There is a sense of transcendence through fighting.

Wildland Fire Leadership Challenge - Digging a Little Deeper
  • Are you hard-wired for agression?
  • How is healthy conflict good for team dynamics?
  • What can you do to build team cohesion?
  • Read Sun Tzu's The Art of War.
  • Watch the History channel's documentary The Art of War
  • Gain insight into the positive side of fighting by watching Part Two: War and Civilization
  • Real Karl Marlantes book Matterhorn. 

No comments: